Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cyber Attack



Recently in the news a Dutch man was arrested for the cyber crime of DDoS attack that took down the internet in Spain. This attack not only affected Spain but also America and Britain.  The mans name is Sven Olaf Kamphuis and you can read more about the arrest here

I find this article particular interesting especially since our recent class discussion about cyber security. Unfortunately this relates to me in a particularly negative way. While I have not personally had my computer hacked, I have however had my credit card information stolen from me. About two years ago I was unable to make purchases on a card until I confirmed recent activity on my account. To my dismay, there were purchases that I had not made and money was missing. Luckily, the amount taken was very small and the issue was resolved very quickly. However, because it was a cyber crime, the person who stole my card number was not apprehended. To me this is very scary because I am very careful about my online purchases. In fact, I rarely buy anything off the internet nor leave my information vulnerable. 

The reason why I bring up my experience and the fact that the man was arrested by Spanish government, is because of the pressing issue of cyber security. While I am not for censuring the internet and the information that can be accessed by people. I do believe more security needs to be in place to prevent hackers from destroying the internet or more personally threatening, the stealing of personal information.  I have no clue what exactly can be done, but I am not sure the government should monitor everyone. 

Has anyone else had information stolen from them and thinks our personal information should be kept safer?

2 comments:

  1. It just stinks that you think that your personal information is safe from others when you are on your own personal computer, but in reality it is just as risky if not more for your information to be stolen if you where just shopping at the grocery store. I also don't understand people that steal in the first place. They are stealing someones hard earn belongings/ money, that in itself makes me mad. Oh and I do believe that man should have be arrested for actions, it is just so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to avoid cyber attacks and data security being compromised is to go back to having everything being done on paper. The people that steal would probably be arrested, because they would have to steal physically in person. However, since we are not going to go back to paper we will have to deal with cyber attacks.

    -Claire Real

    ReplyDelete