Sunday, March 10, 2013

Scaled Down Population Statistics

cool-world-infographic-chart-map

While on Pinterest, I found a link to the diagram to the left. It shows varying statistics based on the world being only made of 100 people. The statistics are the same as with the current population, just on a much smaller scale.

Honestly, I found the statistics shocking. When it is on a larger scale it doesn't seem like that many people. But when it is only on a scale of 100, it suddenly looks so much larger.

The statistic I found most surprising was the one on college education. In today's time it seems that everyone goes to college or is in college. My friend pointed out to me that this diagram is based on the world, not just America. In America, it may be true that most go to college, but when averaged with the rest of the world's population, it is only a small percentage.

Another statstic I found surprising was the one with the nationality divisions. It often seems that North America is the powerhouse of the world, and that the majority of the population is in that region. But Asia's population is much more dense than North America's, so it makes sense that Asia is at 61/100, while North America is only 13/100.

What is your opinion? Do you think this is an accurate diagram? What is most surprising to you?

2 comments:

  1. Where is this information coming from. I mean did they get this off of a primary research article or a legitimate site. If it is true I guess if you think logically, it makes sense. America likes to think it is the center of the world, so for that reason some would think these statistics seem unbelievable. Given the fact that out of 6 billion people in the world and america has only 300 million-ish people, it doesn't surprise me. Kind of neat though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen what you're talking about in a different format and it kind of freaked me out. It makes me appreciate what I have and what I am able to do THAT much more because there are so many people out there with much less than what I am blessed with. The format I saw this information on was more of individual pictures (I can't see what you have up) so with every picture I put myself in the shoes of the less fortunate person in the situation. I think the biggest surprise was close to half of the people are unable to speak or act accordingly to their faith due to harassment, imprisonment, torture, or death.


    Kara Rivas

    ReplyDelete